According to the FAA, bird strikes to helicopters have increased more than 700% since the early 2000’s. Additionally, Helicopter Association International reports that air medical services are now reporting an average of one bird strike every week – and the problem is getting worse. The US Fish and Wildlife has warned the rotorcraft industry that Canada goose populations in North America increased from 500,000 in 1980 to over 3.8 million today. During the same period, the Snow goose population increased from 2.1 million to 6.6 million.
Precise Flight’s Pulselite® System is the only FAA-certified onboard solution proven to substantially reduce bird strikes, and greatly improve aircraft recognition to other pilots.
Using the Pulselite® System, Qantas Airways experienced an average reduction in bird strikes of 48%. The FAA and ICAO reported a 32% decrease in Alaska’s bird strikes for the three-year period after installing the Pulselite® System compared to the three-year period before installing the Pulselite® System. During the same three-year periods, the FAA and ICAO reported a 12% increase in bird strikes for all other major domestic airlines combined. Effectively, this means that Alaska’s bird strikes dropped by 44% in relation to the domestic airline industry average trend.
Rotorcraft operators have experienced even better bird strike reduction results with the Pulselite® System.
Maverick Helicopters, one of the largest fleet operators in the country, recently published a case study highlighting their 8 year test and success with using the Pulselite System to eliminate major bird strikes. Click here to read their case study or follow this link to read the 2018 Winter ROTOR Magazine article featuring Maverick’s experience with the Pulselite System.
Airbus Helicopters, Inc. is the most recent global aviation company to install the Pulselite® System on their models (see attached press release). In the US, Canada and Australia, the Pulselite® System is required aboard all firefighting helicopters with government contracts. It is also required equipment to be a member of T.O.P.S. (Tour Operators Program of Safety).